Alcohol misuse is on the rise due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Agency for Healthcare and Research Quality (AHRQ) supports evidence-based screening and treatment for unhealthy alcohol use via the EvidenceNOW: Managing Unhealthy Alcohol Use Initiative.
This initiative has produced several resources to help physicians manage unhealthy alcohol use in primary care practices.
- This blog post details how AHRQ supports the implementation of evidence around unhealthy alcohol use screening and treatment.
- This collection provides tools and resources for managing unhealthy alcohol use in primary care settings.
- This webinar discusses common challenges and potential solutions for practice recruitment, logistics, and engagement in primary care research during the COVID-19 pandemic.
April is Alcohol Awareness Month. Please visit the AHRQ Academy for Integrating Behavioral Health and Primary Care for more information about how AHRQ’s EvidenceNOW: Managing Unhealthy Alcohol Use initiative helps primary care physicians to identify and treat alcohol misuse:
- AHRQ Academy for Integrating Behavioral Health and Primary Care - EvidenceNOW: Managing Unhealthy Alcohol Use
- AHRQ Academy for Integrating Behavioral Health and Primary Care - AHRQ Unhealthy Alcohol Use Initiative Grantee Releases New Training Resources for Primary Care
 Barbosa C, Cowell AJ, Dowd WN. Alcohol consumption in response to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States. Journal of Addiction Medicine. 2021 Jul;15(4):341. https://doi.org/10.1097/ADM.0000000000000767