On October 24, 2018, H.R. 6, the SUPPORT for Patients and Communities Act, was signed into law by the President. This comprehensive legislation includes additional funding and policies to address all aspects of the opioid crisis in the United States, including medication-assisted treatment (MAT). The bill includes provisions to:
- Increase the number of providers with waivers to prescribe buprenorphine,
- Expand access to treatment through telehealth services,
- Strengthen the substance use disorder workforce and address shortages,
- Allow pharmacies to administer implantable or injectable medications,
- Improve access to MAT for patients with Medicare, and
- Expand Medicaid coverage of MAT in inpatient settings.
Read the Addiction Policy Forum’s summary of the legislation, 41 key components of the Opioid Package (H.R. 6), to learn more.