The following resources are available for patients seeking or providers offering treatment for opioid use disorder (OUD):
Department of Health and Human Services Resources
- Opioid Dependence: Developing Buprenorphine Depot Products for Treatment (Food and Drug Administration)—this draft guidance (PDF—86.6 KB) intends to encourage the development of new medications for use in MAT for opioid use disorder, specifically sustained-release “depot” buprenorphine products.
- AHRQ Data Show Impact of Opioid Crisis at County Level (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality)—the AHRQ Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project now provides county-level data of hospitalization rates for substance use, including opioids.
- Clinical Guidance for Treating Pregnant and Parenting Women With Opioid Use Disorder and Their Infants (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)—this guide provides clinical guidance on the management of pregnant and post-partum women with opioid use disorder.
- Finding Quality Treatment for Substance Use Disorders (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)—this fact sheet provides guidance for individuals seeking behavioral health treatment, including the steps needed to access care and the signs of quality treatment centers.
- Pathways to Safer Opioid Use (Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion)—this training from the aims to teach clinicians and public health professionals about the appropriate, safe, and effective use of opioids to manage chronic pain using recommendations from the National Action Plan for Adverse Drug Event Prevention.
- How HIPAA Allows Doctors To Respond to the Opioid Crisis (Department of Health and Human Services)–this brief explains how health care providers can share health information with patients’ family members during certain crisis situations without violating privacy regulations.
- General Principles for Evaluating the Abuse Deterrence of Generic Solid Oral Opioid Drug Products: Guidance for Industry (Food and Drug Administration)--this document provides guidance for abbreviated new drug applications that seek approval of a generic version of a solid oral opioid drug product that references an opioid drug product with abuse-deterrent properties.
- Medicare Part D Opioid Prescribing Mapping Tool (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services)—this interactive tool shows geographic comparisons of deidentified Medicare Part D opioid prescription claims within the United States.
- Rx Awareness (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)—this video series features individuals telling their personal stories to raise awareness about prescription drug abuse.
- Rx Pain Medications: Know the Options, Get the Facts (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration)—this fact sheet series aims to raise awareness about the risks associated with prescription opioid use and misuse and to provide information about alternative pain management methods.
- Adolescent Substance Use Screening Tools (National Institute on Drug Abuse)—these two tools assist providers in screening for substance use among adolescent patients (ages 12-17) in primary care settings.
- Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) 63: Medications for Opioid Use Disorder (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)—this TIP provides guidance on the use of three medications approved to treat opioid use disorder.
- Search and Rescue (Partnership for Drug-Free Kids)—this website provides tools and resources about prescription drug misuse and abuse to support healthcare providers and their patients.
- Pain in the Nation: The Drug, Alcohol and Suicide Crises and the Need for a National
Resilience Strategy (PDF—9000 KB) (Trust for America’s Health and the Well Being Trust)—this report from highlights the need for a National Resilience Strategy that addresses the factors that lead to substance misuse, abuse, and suicide. This Issue Brief Update (PDF—872.4 KB) to the original report describes the increase in deaths from alcohol, drugs, and suicide.
- Patient-Centered Opioid Addiction Treatment (P-COAT) (PDF— 699.4 KB) (American Society of Addiction Medicine and the American Medical Association)—this report describes an overview of the P-COAT Alternative Payment Model.
- Remaining Optimistic when Treating OUD Can Be Challenging (Providers Clinical Support System)—this video discusses the importance of provider optimism when providing substance use treatment.
- Addressing Clinicians' Concerns about Adding OUD Treatment (Providers Clinical Support System)—this video addresses provider’s concerns and hesitation to offer MAT for opioid use disorder.
- The Opioid Crisis: Treating Addiction and Saving Lives (National Institute for Health Care Management Foundation)—this webinar examines ways to expand access to evidence-based treatment for opioid use disorder. Read the accompanying fact sheet The Opioid Crisis at a Glance.
- The Opioid Crisis: Understanding Pain and Preventing Opioid Misuse (National Institute for Health Care Management Foundation)—this webinar describes strategies to prevent opioid use disorder, including prescribing guidelines, collaborative partnerships, pain management alternatives, and education.
- All for One and One for All: Developing Coordinated State Opioid Strategies (Milbank Memorial Fund)—this issue brief describes lessons learned by state officials about coordinating law enforcement, public health agencies, and Medicaid to address the opioid epidemic.
- When Are Prescribers Required to Use Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs?
- (Pew Charitable Trusts)—this data visualization compares state laws and regulations related to mandates that require prescribers to use prescription drug monitoring programs.
- Primer on Opioids (National Association of State Alcohol and Drug Abuse Directors)—this issue brief provides an overview of opioids, including the treatment of opioid use disorder.
- Opioid Misuse in Rural America (U.S. Department of Agriculture)—this new web page provides resources, information, and best practices to help address the opioid crisis in rural communities.
- The Opioid Epidemic and Socioeconomic Disadvantage (Institute for Research on Poverty of the University of Wisconsin—Madison)—this issue brief discusses how the opioid epidemic and social and economic disadvantage are intertwined.
- Stem the Tide: Addressing the Opioid Epidemic (American Hospital Association)—this toolkit includes guidance and resources for hospitals and health systems to share with providers and patients about the opioid epidemic.
- The Opioid Epidemic: From Evidence to Impact (Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health)—this report describes specific recommendations for how to effectively fight the opioid epidemic.
- Opioid Misuse and Diversion Change Package (Quality Insights)— this toolkit provides tools and resources for providers related to the prescription of opioids and pain management to help prevent opioid misuse and diversion.
- Addiction Resource Center (Addiction Policy Forum)— this set of resources helps individuals and their families learn more about substance use disorders and how to get help.